We all have those moments when we just don’t know what to do with the junk in the house. One of the biggest materials that can be found in almost any Indian home is plastic. With so much plastic around, it’s no surprise that we keep throwing it out on an almost daily basis. But do we actually eliminate the waste or create a never-ending pile of junk that is just sitting out there?
Did you know that on an average, the minimum time for a plastic bottle to decompose is 450 years? And there are certain types of plastic bottles that could even take as much as 1000 years to decompose?
Instead of creating a soil bed of plastic for our children that will soon turn inhospitable, there are many ways you can avoid adding to the junk. Creating fun things out of used plastic is something your kids will enjoy doing, and help create less waste.
- Plastic Bottle Chandelier – Collect all your cold drink bottles and cut them in such a way that you have a pile of the bottle bottoms with the flower shape (the one which helps the bottles to stand). Make sure the bottles are all of the same size, as it will make it easier for you to make the chandelier. Use a hot glue gun or very strong glue and attach the pieces to each other to form a sort of structure. Keep space to hold a bulb in the middle. The entire piece will look like the top part of an umbrella. Once you are done, attach the bulb to a wire and hang it over your table.
- Fairy Lights Holder – This is the easiest way to make use of your plastic bottles. Get a hold of as many bottles as you have around the house. They can be of any shape and size, and the more variation you have, the more beautiful it will look. Clean all the bottles and let them dry. Now place them together on one corner of the room and add a string of fairy lights inside each. Connect them to a power socket at the back and see them come to life.
- Bottle Lampshades – Buy some dispensers from your local hardware store, the kinds you find in soap dispensers. Attach them to your used plastic bottle and viola, you have your very own soap dispenser. You can also paint the bottle in advance to make it look pretty.
- Plastic Bangles – You can use a wide range of plastic containers for this step, but make sure the width is such that it will fit around your arm like a bangle. Cut out the round part of the plastic container. Now use a hot iron to soften the rugged edges. Once it is done, use funky colors to paint the bangles in whatever colors and designs you want.
- Inhouse Planters – Use the biggest cold drink bottle you can find and cut it a little from below the middle part. You need to use the lower part of the bottle as a planter, so make sure you have enough depth. Now paint the bottle in whatever color and design you want and let it dry. Add soil and some easy to maintain plant in the same and place the planter on a dish to hold any water spillage. You can also hang it up by attaching chains on both ends.
Image source: Pexels
You may like to read: